Royal Osteoporosis Society
The Royal Osteoporosis Society is the only UK-wide charity dedicated to improving the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis.
We help the nation look after its bones and appreciate the importance of bone health for everybody. If you do develop osteoporosis, we’re here to help you live well and to empower your healthcare professionals to provide you with the best possible care.
By driving research for the development of new treatments and therapies, we are determined to realise our vision of a future without osteoporosis.
A future without osteoporosis
- Improve the bone health of our nation and prevent osteoporosis
- Influence healthcare providers and professionals to deliver high quality healthcare so that people are assessedand treated for osteoporosis earlier
- Provide the best information, support and services to help people with osteoporosis live well.
- Drive research and development of new treatments and therapies that will ultimately beat osteoporosis
- Caring – we put your bone health and wellbeing first
- Influential – we persuade others to take positive action on bone health
- Innovative – we are bold, curious and brave about bone health
Osteoporosis occurs when the struts which make up the mesh-like structure within bones become thin, causing bones to become fragile and break easily, often following a minor bump or fall. These broken bones are often referred to as fragility fractures. The terms ‘fractures’ and ‘broken bones’ mean the same thing. Although fractures can occur in different parts of the body, the wrists, hips and spine are most commonly affected.
Share this Page